March 23, 2007

Hitting the Road

I decided bout a month or two ago to travel the U.S. since I was being laid off. The way I wanted to fund my trip was to use my 401K, but I was talked out of it. With in the last few week I had found a new job and thought I take this road trip for my last six days off of the type of schedule I have with my old Job. I decided to head out to South Dakota in my Jeep to go to Mt Rushmore and also hit the Badlands. My reality of my trip came true this past Thursday March 22. I am hear writing of my first two days of my trip and have Photos to share. The first day was long day. I worked the night before and used up my last 2.5 hours of personal time to get some sleep before I headed out on the road at 6 am.
Once I was on the road, Around 3pm EST I got a call from my dad. While talking to him, he informed me of the town he went to college in. Luckily the town was with-in my route to Mt. Rushmore. The town is call Yankton and the college he attended was Yankton College. I found out that the college no longer is a College but the campus is still there. The college was turned into a minimal security federal prison. Here are some pics of the college and the train station in town.




I have to say this. Since I spent the night in the town and went to visit it, 2 generations of our family has been in Yankton, SD.

I decided to through away the route I planed on taking on Friday to head to Mt. Rushmore. Rather than taking the main Interstate I took the State Route and headed through the Badlands on a friends advice. Thanks for the advice from both my dad and friend. Here are a some photos from that visit.







Then I headed onto Mt Rushmore. It is amazing to me what a human brain and artistic power can do, especial in each time era.







Hope you like my first two days of my trip

1 comment:

Traveling Bonbon said...

You look like your having an awesome time! I love that you (remembered) are taking shots of yourself along the way too! I can't wait to see how the rest of the trip turned out. Sorry for not calling more this past weekend.


About Me

Just a guy who likes to fly fish and draw. Been doing both ever since I can remember.